Friday, March 09, 2012

The Gentleman - Rahul Dravid


It is magnificent to read on the net today, all types of adjectives being used for the man who gave his everything to the game of Cricket. Sixteen years of cricket is indeed a long time, but I’m sure the man would only feel like yesterday, when he held a cricket bat and walked into the pitch for the very first time to bat.



Sportsman hanging their boots isn’t a rare thing. But there is something rare and sad about the exit of Rahul Dravid. A comment on the net made me ponder, Is it just his game that acquired so many fans? For the media, does it mean just another news that they can harp on for the next couple of days? The pulse that I gather is, he is truly adored, respected and genuinely loved for the Gentleman he is. The tremendous pride he holds as an Indian and as an ambassador representing his country outside of India, is impeccable as compared to any other sportsman that I’ve ever seen. His critics may well shun him for his way of the game, but can never question him about his passion and love for the game.

Today, when Rahul said “I have failed at times, but never stopped trying”, I couldn’t just hold back my tears. How true, I thought. Wasn’t it easy for him to announce his retirement from ODI’s at the time BCCI called him back for the England ODI series? Media literally tried their best to have him take that decision. His fans also felt strongly about it, as he was not the part of the World Cup winning team. Well, he thought otherwise. He respected the Boards decision, played the series and then called off his great ODI career. His love for the game is such that there is no room for any sort of ego.
Every time the team demanded him to play a different role, he got down to the job. Be it giving away his lucky No 3 spot or putting on the gloves and standing behind the stumps. Despite of all this, he was known to be a second fiddle rather than a show stopper. But he never complained. His work on the field always silenced his critics.

For me, cricket was always about Rahul Dravid. I remember, how I would fight with friends when they said anything against him. As a child, I was this crazy Rahul Dravid fan, who could go to the extent of pushing a friend from the first floor, for passing a rude comment about him. Like any other fan, my room was colourful with his posters. My diary was full of his pictures, newspaper cuttings of his interviews and his high scores. With time, habits changed but my fondness for him never died. I’m glad and consider myself extremely lucky for getting an opportunity to meet him and talk to him. August 14th, 2004 will be the most memorable day of my life forever.

Cricket will never be the same again for me. Same will be the case for Indian cricket as well. I’m sure the team will find it extremely difficult to find a replacement for him. Legends are not created often by gods. If only they could, I definitely would love be another Rahul Dravid and not a Sachin or a Saurav. Thank you Rahul for the fame you brought to this country through your game and through your personality. You have definitely set a very high benchmark for the youngsters. Love you Jammy :)

No comments: